The Schools Forum acts as a consultative body for school funding issues, for some of the issues the Forum is a decision making body.
The forum acts in a consultative role for:
- changes to the local funding formula (the local authority makes the final decision)
- proposed changes to the operation of the minimum funding guarantee
- changes to or new contracts affecting schools (eg school meals)
- arrangements for pupils with special educational needs, in pupil referral units and in early years provision
The forum decides:
- how much funding may be retained by the local authority within the dedicated schools grant (eg providing additional funding for growing schools)
- any proposed carry forward of deficits on central spend from one year to the next
- proposals to de-delegate funding from maintained primary and secondary schools (eg for staff supply cover, insurance, behaviour support)
- changes to the Scheme for Financing Schools
A copy of the 2019/20 Bolton Schools Funding Formula can be downloaded via the Bolton council website. You can read more information about the role of schools forums in the ‘Schools Forums Operational and Good Practice Guide’ by visiting the Department for Education website using the following LINK
Representation on the Forum
Representatives from schools and academies make up the schools forum, including representation from governors and trustees of governing boards and academy trusts. There is also some representation from non-school organisations, such as early years, diocesan, trade unions and 16-19 education providers.
Schools and academies’ (including free schools) representatives on the forum are proportionate to the number of pupils in each sector. In maintained schools Governor Representatives hold a four year term of office and there is an annual election process run through the Local Authority Governor Services Team.
Schools forum members have a responsibility to represent the interests of their peer group rather than the interests of their own individual school. The current membership (Sept 2019) for the Bolton Schools Forum may be downloaded below.
Information from the Forum
Further to request from Governors and Trustees, this section of the Governor Exchange will act as a portal to provide updates and information about the work of the forum.
An update will be provided by the Chair of the Forum each term and copies of these can be accessed towards the bottom of this page. Further detailed information, such as copies of agendas, minutes and associated documentation provided at School Forum meetings can be downloaded by visiting the Bolton Council website using the following LINK
A copy of the forward plan of meetings for the School Forum for the 2019/20 Academic Year can be downloaded below.
Contacting the Forum
The Chair of the Forum is Mr Mike Doyle and the Local Authority representative on the Forum is Mrs Julie Edwards, Local Authority School Finance Manager. Any queries can be directed to:
Julie Edwards – Schools Finance Manager
People Services Department
Telephone: 01204 332035