Overview of Learning
This two-part induction programme will ensure those new to governance have the information they need to become effective governors and trustees. The sessions will be on 27 September and 4 October 2023.
Module 1 will concentrate on the meetings and structure of Governance while Module 2 explains the strategic role of governance and how to effectively monitor and hold the school to account.
By the end of both sessions you will have:
- considered the purpose and functions of board meetings.
- a knowledge of how meetings are convened, how voting works and an awareness of the possible content for discussion at meetings.
- an understanding of the clerk’s role.
- an understanding of the various roles governors and local governors can undertake and the importance of a code of conduct.
- An understanding of the strategic functions of governing boards
- Considered the board’s role in setting the organisation’s vision and monitoring progress
- An awareness of how to hold senior leaders to account
- Explored approaches to governor monitoring and evaluation
All governors, trustees, local governors and members of schools and academies, particularly those new to the role.
John Ashworth, Governance Services Manager and Marie Foley, Governance Training Officer
This course will be held in two parts in person at the Bolton Science and Technology Centre. You only need to select one Course and attend both session of the course.
Pricing and Cancelation
Fees for this session are payable via the school budget and not by individual members of the governing board. If your governing board has signed up to the Governance Training Service Level Agreement, sessions are free of charge. Governors of governing boards who have not signed up to the Governance Training Service Level Agreement may attend for a fee of £90 per session.
If you are unable to attend a course, we ask that you please notify the Governance Services Team on 01204 332116 at the earliest opportunity and at least five working days prior to the course date to enable the place to be offered to others.
Cancellation fees will apply for non-attendance or if a place is cancelled by the delegate within five working days of the course date. Schools who have signed up to the Governance Training Service Level Agreement will be charged £25 for each cancellation within five days of the course. If your school has not signed up to the SLA the full course fee will be charged. Fees may be waived in exceptional circumstances. Please contact Marie Foley, Governance Training Officer on 01204 332116 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
THIS COURSE IS NOW FULL PLEASE BOOK ON A LATER COURSE